Sunday, April 09, 2006

falling


You know how I said that I had all these things I needed to do? All those plans I had made, to make socks and jumpers and baby clothes? You didn't really think I was actually going to be sensible, did you?

Good. Because instead I made a small moebius scarf, in luscious Lion and Lamb (mixed berries, if you must), in one of my favourite, favourite stitches, brioche. (I feel so unutterably extravagantly elegant, working brioche, swooping down for the yarn overs, scooping up through the slip, finishing with a satisfying, anchoring k2tog.) Which I promptly gave away, before I took a photo (I'll eat mixed berries til the summer pudding runs out, but they aren't something I'll wear.)

And then, because the world seems to be dotted with devious little traps at the moment, I finally fell down the rabbit hole. Now this rabbit hole is a travelling rabbit hole, and I know of at least two 'victims'. Snow fell down, a while ago, when she bumped into Alice Starmore's Laleli. Cassie just keeps falling from one rabbit hole into another (but she's briefly come up for air, and is making some serious cute holders for an emergency sock kit, which would be almost perfect if they weren't for the evil dpns). And I would warn you, I don't know where it is going to hit next. And I would warn you, because this rabbit hole makes you come over all Super-Knitter Super-Hero (what would the costume be? Hair held up with crochet hooks? Circular whips? Stitch markers to pin you down? Lace shawls to tie you up? A knitter's bag, all porcupine-y with dpns, just right for clouting round the head. Sweeping past in a cape of all the swatches you have - of course - made and kept and labelled and numbered and catalogued?), and things that in a saner moment would bring fear and trembling suddenly seem a snip-snap-snop. Because this week, I thought I could knit the Wedding Ring Shawl.

Now wiser knitters than I will survive playing with bunnies, I'm sure. But based on the swatches above, I think I hit just about every tree branch on my way down. The first swatch, on the bottom left, is in a Shetland Cobweb (914m per 20g), done at night, in bed, watching a dvd. The second swatch, the abomination bottom right, is in a Gossamer Silk (700m per 20g), done at knit club, worked when awake, in good light, in a good chair, with a lovely helpful young man who brings you coffee at regular intervals. The lesson learnt being me talking and lace is a bad, bad, bad thing. Also that silk is just waiting to pounce, and make a fool of you. (The top swatch is in a mysterious coned yarn, thicker than the others, but after the silk bit back, I thought I just ought to behave and practice.)

So, guess what I ordered.

Send supplies, I could be down here some time.